Skip to content
Military Voices Great Questions List
Great Questions for Any Interview Pair
- What are some of the happiest moments in your life? What are some of the saddest?
- Who are some of the most important people in your life? Can you tell me about them?
- What are some of the most important lessons you’ve learned?
- What are you proud of?
- Do you have any regrets?
- Is there anything you’ve never told me but want to tell me now?
- When did you enlist / when were you commissioned? What do you remember about that day?
- What were some of the reasons you joined the service? Were there any people/ events that shaped your decision?
- How did joining the service affect your family/friends?
- Did you have any fears about joining the service?
- What was your branch of service? What was your job/ assignment?
- Tell me about your early days in the military?
- How was military life different than civilian life? How was it different than what you expected? Was there anything you had trouble adjusting to?
- Were you deployed? If yes, how did you tell your loved ones you were being deployed?
- Where were you deployed, what unit, and for how long?
- Tell me about a time it was hard to be away from home. What helped you through?
- Who were you closest to in your unit? Can you tell me about him/her?
- Did you see multiple deployments? If yes, what changed from your first deployment to the others? How did you change from your first deployment to the others?
Life After Service
- When was your date of separation form the military? What do you remember about that day?
- Tell me about your first few months out of the service. What was that transition like?
- What did you miss about military life?
- Was there anyone (or anything) that helped you readjust to civilian life?
- How do you think your time in the military changed you? When did you realize you had changed?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- What advice do you have for others transitioning out of the military?
Marriage, Partnerships, and Families
- How did you meet your husband/wife?
- How did you know he/she was “the one”?
- What were some of the best times?
- What were some of the most difficult times?
- What advice do you have for military couples?
- What has been a difficult thing to communicate to family, friends, or loved ones about your military service?
- If you have children, what do you want them to know about your military service?
Remembering the Fallen
- What was your relationship to _____?
- Tell me about _____
- What did _____ look like?
- What is one of your favorite memories of _____?
- What was your relationship like?
- When did you find out about _____’s death?
- How did you change after losing _____?
- What has helped the most in your grief?
- Do you have any traditions to honor _____?
- Do you have any funny stories about _____? Any favorite jokes _____ used to tell?