Questions and reflections on life at Fort Sheridan
- When did you live at Fort Sheridan and for how long?
- Did you go through basic training at the Fort?
- Describe a typical day for you while you were at Fort Sheridan?
- Did you have a family that lived with you here?
- What building/buildings did you live in at the Fort?
- What rank were you?
- Where were you before and after your tenure at the Fort?
- Describe your time here. What were some of the positives about your life at the Fort? Negatives?
- While you were stationed at the Fort, did you feel a sense of its history? Did fellow soldiers talk about its history–how it dates back to 1888; was named after Civil War General Phillip Sheridan; became a hospital during the 1917 flu epidemic?
- Why did you join the military?
- Do you come from a military family?
- Besides military training/working were you able to participate in other activities such as sports, volunteer work, educational pursuits etc?
- What is the toughest part of being in the military?
- What lessons did your time in the military teach you?
- Did you go overseas? Were you in combat/war zone?
- Do you still have any contact with people who served beside you here at the Fort and in the military in general?
- If given the opportunity, would you serve in the military again?
- If you are a family member or friend of someone who lived and served at Fort Sheridan, what are your memories of your loved one? What do you remember about your time at the Fort?