Last modified: August 12, 2022
The StoryCorps Online Platforms collect and share interview information through the websites currently available at:
storycorps.org (together with any successor sites, the [“SC Site”]),
storycorpsconnect.org (together with any successor sites, the “SC Connect Site”),
archive.storycorps.org (together with any successor sites, the “Archive Site”),
storycorps.org/discover/one small step (together with any successor sites, the “OSS Site”, or “One Small Step Site”).
Collectively, the above shall be known as the “Sites”. The Sites, along with any mobile application or successor mobile applications (each an “App”), and any software, data feeds, widgets, materials, content and any other services available on or through the Sites and/or App are herein collectively known as the “Services”.
Information We Collect
Personally Identifiable Information
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
How We Collect Your Information
Information You Choose to Give Us
- Account Information. When you create an account, you will provide information that could be Personally Identifiable Information (e.g. your username, email address, and photograph) or Non-Personally Identifiable Information (e.g. your gender, hobbies, favorite activities, occupation and any other information you choose to disclose). If you sign into the Services through your Facebook account, we will have access to any information on your account that you grant us permission to, such as your username, photos, and email address.
- User Content. Some features of the Services allow you to submit User Content. As StoryCorps seeks to build and share a lasting archive of humanity’s stories, User Content is information that you choose to submit (e.g. by uploading, recording, or transmitting) through the App or the Sites. When you share User Content via the Services, you should think carefully about what you are making public. You may change your interview privacy settings on the Services to make your information more private.
Information We Collect from Your Use of the Services
- Activity. When you use our Services, we may collect information about your activity on the Services, such as interview selections and viewing history
- Location. When you use our Services, we may collect information about your location. With your consent, we may also collect information about your precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points and other sensors. You typically have to choose to turn such services on or off. If such device-based location services are on, we may receive and record such information, such as the location where you are creating or uploading User Content.
- Camera, photos and audio. Some of the Services allow us to collect images and/or audio from your device’s App, camera and camera roll. For example, you may upload User Content by providing us access to your camera roll for photos and other applications containing the interview audio file.
- IP Address Information and Other Information Collected Automatically. We automatically receive and record certain information from your web browser when you access and use the Services, which may include your IP address, cookie information, hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information (including the mobile phone number).
We may also use “clear GIFs” (aka “web beacons” or “pixel tags”) or similar technologies on our Services or in our communications with you to enable us to know whether you have visited a part of our Services or received a message. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a website or in an email or other type of message, which is retrieved from a remote website on the Internet enabling the verification of an individual’s viewing or receipt of a website or message. We may also log information using digital images called web beacons on our Services or in our emails. We may use web beacons to manage cookies, count visits, and to learn what marketing works and what does not. We may also use web beacons to tell if you open or act on our emails. We do not track our users across third party websites and thus do not respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals.
- Information Collected for Push Notifications. When you access the Services through a mobile device, you will also be asked to allow push notifications to be sent to you outside or inside of the App. If you do so, a device token will be generated, which is associated with you until you log out. We will collect and store these device tokens on our servers.
Your Interview Privacy Settings
Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, including User Content, becomes available to the public and may be re-shared by others. Subject to your interview privacy settings, any Interview Content that you make public is searchable by other users of the Services and the general public. So, the same common sense that applies to the internet at large applies to StoryCorps and your use of the Service: do not send any messages or share any content that you do not want someone else to save or share.
- Fully Public. The default setting for an interview is a general public setting. Therefore, unless you change your interview privacy setting, your interview and associated Interview Content will be public and accessible by anyone.
- Story Corps Registered Users. Only people with a registered account on the Services can view or access your interview and associated Interview Content. Your interview and associated Interview Content will not be accessible by the general public.
- Private. Only you can view or access your interview and associated Interview Content. Your interview and associated Interview Content will not be accessible by the general public or other users of the Services if you choose to make your interview private.
Please note that even if you change your interview privacy settings on your account, your Interview Content, including any associated photographs, audio and information, can still be accessed and used by StoryCorps and its partners, funders and sponsors, licensees and researchers for research purposes; which may include contact with a researcher requesting additional information. Participation in such research is entirely voluntary.
Also, please be aware that that your account profile will remain visible to other users of the Services and the general public regardless of your interview privacy settings.
Our Use of Your Information
StoryCorps is a story-sharing platform, and we will use the information we collect to provide you with products and services to further our mission to preserve and share humanity’s stories and to improve such products and services. StoryCorps will always have access to the Personally Identifiable and Non-Personally Identifiable Information on your account regardless of your interview privacy settings and may use your information to maintain and provide the Services to you. For example, we may use your information, in either aggregated or individual form, in the following ways:
- to archive and share stories with other people as part of StoryCorps’ mission to preserve the stories of people from all backgrounds and beliefs, including with other users of the Services by sharing and displaying your username, photograph, location and, depending on your interview privacy settings, your audio recording and metadata in connection with any User Content you upload to any of the Sites or App;
- to share with our third party partners in order to provide you with a service you use or request. For example, StoryCorps may share your Personally Identifiable Information and Interview Content with third parties for data storage and hosting, and the U.S. Library of Congress for archiving purposes. This Section applies to any and all third party websites, services and applications that you access through the Services or that are used or will be used by StoryCorps to provide the Services, even if not expressly named herein;
- to communicate with you and respond to you regarding the Services, content, features and products you use or that we think may interest you;
- to customize and optimize the content or advertisements you receive or view when you use the Services, and otherwise improve your experience on our Services;
- to provide, maintain, protect, analyze, understand and improve our Services, content, features and products, which may include tracking traffic, trends, usage and navigation patterns;
- to develop new services; for research and educational purposes; which may include contact with a researcher requesting additional information. Participation in such research is entirely voluntary.
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information;
- for legal reasons, including, but not limited to, in response to a valid law enforcement request or legal process or to protect our rights and property or those of third parties; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
- If you have any questions regarding how we use your User Content, please contact us at [email protected].
Retaining Your Information
Even if you change your interview privacy settings through your account to be private, your Interview Content may still be retained by StoryCorps and accessed by StoryCorps and its partners, funders and sponsors, licensees, researchers and other third parties for research purposes and any other [non-commercial] purpose.
If you remove information that you posted to the Services, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Services, or if other users or third parties have copied or saved that information prior to removal.
If you have any questions regarding how your Interview Content may be retained or accessed, please contact us at [email protected].
Third Party Sites
Protecting Your Information
We implement and maintain reasonable measures to help safeguard your information. However, we make no guarantee that these reasonable efforts will make your information completely secure. Please do your part to help us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information. Again, we encourage users to think carefully before electing to share content on the internet.
Minors and Children Under Age 13
We require a parent or legal guardian’s consent before collecting, using or disclosing information from people between 13 and 18 years of age.
The Services and content on the Sites and the App are not directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect, solicit or store Personally Identifiable Information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register or use the Services. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to use or register on the Services; no one under the age of 13 may provide any Personally Identifiable Information to the Company or on the Services.
In the event that we learn that we have collected Personally Identifiable Information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information where reasonably possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please send a detailed message to [email protected].
Information Related to Advertising
To support and enhance the Services, we may use your information to serve advertisements on our Sites and on third party sites. These advertisements are sometimes targeted and served to particular users and may come from third party companies called “ad networks.” Ad networks include third party ad servers, ad agencies, ad technology vendors and research firms.
Advertisements served through the Services may be targeted to users who fit a certain general profile category and may be based on (1) information inferred from information provided to us by a user, (2) usage patterns of particular users, or (3) your activity on a third party website. We do not provide Personally Identifiable Information to any ad networks for use outside of the Services.
California residents may choose to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes or choose to opt-out of such disclosure. To make a request or to opt-out at any time, please contact us at [email protected] or the other contact information provided below. Our policy is not to disclose Personally Identifiable Information collected online to a third party for direct marketing without your approval.