Effective date: October 10, 2017
Welcome to the StoryCorps Archive!
II. Creating an Account
- In order to access some features of the Services, you will have to create an account and choose a username. Alternatively, you may also sign into the Service through your Facebook account. If you do so, we will have access to information on your account such as your email address, profile picture and other information if you grant us permission.
- By creating an account, you agree that:
- you will provide accurate, current and complete information and you agree to update your information as necessary to maintain its truth and accuracy. Using a pseudonym to create an account does not violate this provision;
- you will not create an account for anyone other than yourself, unless you are a representative of an Entity with express authorization from an officer of such Entity to create an account on behalf of such Entity;
- you will not purchase, sell, gift or trade any account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any account; and
- you will not share your password with anyone, except that with respect to accounts created on behalf of an Entity, you may share your account information with other authorized users of the Entity. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, so it’s important that you keep your account secure and use a strong password. If you think that someone has gained access to your account, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
III. Interview Privacy Settings
- You may change your interview privacy settings on the Services to make your interview and any associated User Content (as defined in Section V) more private as follows:
- Fully Public. The default setting for an interview and associated User Content is a general public setting. Therefore, unless you change your interview privacy settings, your interview and User Content will be public and accessible by anyone.
- StoryCorps Registered Users. Only people with a registered account on the Services can view or access your interview and associated User Content. Your interview will not be accessible by the general public.
- Private. Only you can view or access your interview and associated User Content. Your interview and associated User Content will not be accessible by the general public or other users of the Services if you choose to make your interview private.
- NOTE: Even if you change your interview privacy settings through your account to StoryCorps Registered Users or Private, your User Content may still be retained by StoryCorps and accessed by StoryCorps archive and community partners, corporate partners, funders and sponsors, licensees, researchers and other third parties for research purposes and any other purpose. If you do not wish your content to be made available to StoryCorps’ third party partners, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Notwithstanding the foregoing, StoryCorps will always have access to the content on your account and may use such content for internal business purposes and to maintain and provide the Services to you.
IV. Rights We Grant You
- Any software that we provide you may automatically download and install upgrades, updates, or other new features. You may be able to adjust these automatic downloads through your device’s settings.
- alter, modify, duplicate, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or decode (including any underlying idea or algorithm) any part of the Services, or attempt to do any of the same;
- use the Services in any way that violates, plagiarizes, misappropriates or infringes the rights of third parties, including without limitation, rights of copyright, trademark, privacy or publicity;
- use the Services in any way that violates, breaches or is contrary to any applicable law, rules, regulation, court order or is otherwise illegal or unlawful in StoryCorps’ reasonable opinion;
- use the Services to impersonate or attempt to impersonate StoryCorps, a StoryCorps employee, another user or any other person or Entity or otherwise misrepresent yourself. Using a pseudonym to create an account does not violate this provision;
- use the Services for harassing, unethical or disruptive purposes or use the Services in any way that is indecent, offensive, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, racist, sexually explicit or in a manner to incite hatred on grounds of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation or in any other manner objectionable in StoryCorps’ reasonable discretion;
- post sensitive information via the Services, including, without limitation, your or any other person’s credit card information, social security or alternate national identity numbers, non-public phone numbers or non-public email addresses;
- create or submit unwanted email, comments, likes or other forms of commercial or harassing communications (a/k/a “spam”) to other users of the Services;
- exploit the Services for any commercial purpose, including without limitation, the sale of access to the Services or the sale of advertising, sponsorships or promotions placed on or within the Services or User Content (as defined below);
- use the Services in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, disrupt or interfere with the Services, any other party’s use of the Services or use any device, software or routine that causes the same;
- circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, disable, degrade, thwart or otherwise interfere with any security-related technological measure or content protections of the Services;
- use or launch any robot, spider, crawlers or other automatic device, process, software or queries that intercepts, “mines,” scrapes or otherwise access the Services to monitor, extract, copy or collect information from or through the Services, or any manual process to do the same;
- introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful; or
- use the Services in any way that would affect StoryCorps adversely or reflect negatively on StoryCorps, the Services, StoryCorps’ reputation or goodwill, or its employees or moderators.
V. Rights You Grant Us
- Any and all content, including any communications, images, sounds and all materials or information, that you submit (e.g. by uploading or transmitting) through the App (collectively, “User Content”) is and will remain your property from the moment of creation. You are solely responsible for your own User Content and the consequences of uploading, submitting, distributing and publishing your User Content on the Services. We do not claim ownership of any User Content.
- You represent and warrant that (i) you exclusively own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to publish any User Content you submit and (ii) your User Content does not and will not infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, moral right, right of publicity, right of privacy, or other right of any other person or entity or violates any law or contractual duty.
- We always love to hear from our users and encourage you to contact us with any suggestions or feedback, which we may use to improve our Services. But if you do volunteer suggestions or feedback, keep in mind that we can use your ideas without compensating you.
VI. Our Intellectual Property Rights
- You acknowledge that except for any User Content, any and all other software (including source code), logos, icons, the Site’s and the App’s “look and feel,” text, graphics, images, video clips, sound clips, content, notices, data, page layout, selection and arrangement of the content, copyrights, patents, trade secrets, trademarks and other intellectual property rights therein is owned solely and exclusively by StoryCorps and/or its licensors and are protected by United States and international copyright, trade secret or other intellectual property laws and treaties. You may not copy, archive, download, upload, distribute, syndicate, broadcast, perform, display, make available, or otherwise use any portion of the Services or the content on the Services except as set forth in these Terms of Service. Additionally, you may not use the Services, any tools provided by the Services, or any content on the Services for any commercial purposes without our consent.
- The STORYCORPS name and logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of StoryCorps, its affiliates or its licensors. Other names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans that appear on the Services are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to or sponsored by StoryCorps. You may not use, copy or imitate any such branding, logos, designs, without the express prior permission of StoryCorps.
VII. Third Party Consent
VIII. Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- StoryCorps does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on the Services, and StoryCorps will remove any and all User Content if properly notified that such User Content infringes on another’s intellectual property rights.
- Anyone who believes that his or her work has been reproduced in the Services in a manner which constitutes copyright infringement may submit a notification to StoryCorps’ copyright agent in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “DMCA”), by providing the following information in writing:
- identification of the copyrighted work that is claimed to be infringed;
- identification of the allegedly infringing material that is requested to be removed, including a description of where it is located on the Services;
- information for our copyright agent to contact you (such as an address, telephone number and email address);
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that the identified, allegedly infringing use is not authorized by the copyright owners, its agent or the law;
- a statement that the information above is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or the authorized person to act on behalf of the copyright owner; and
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- If you are asserting infringement of an intellectual property right other than copyright, please specify the intellectual property right at issue (for example, “trademark”) by noting this in your written notice. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements for a notice of infringement as specified above, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
- Notices of copyright infringement claims should be sent by mail to StoryCorps, Attn: Copyright Agent, 80 Hanson Place, 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217; or by email to email@example.com. StoryCorps will respond expeditiously to claims of copyright infringement using the Services that are reported to StoryCorps’ copyright agent in the notification explained above. It is StoryCorps’ policy, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, to disable or terminate the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others.
- If you believe that your User Content that was removed (or to which access was disabled) after StoryCorps received a notice of copyright infringement is not actually infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner’s agent or pursuant to the law to post and use the content in your User Content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to StoryCorps’ copyright agent:
- your physical or electronic signature (with your full legal name);
- identification of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief, under penalty of perjury, that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- your name, address, telephone number and email address, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided the original notification of the alleged infringement.
- If a counter-notice is received by StoryCorps’ copyright agent, StoryCorps may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that StoryCorps may replace the removed content or cease disabling it. At StoryCorps’ sole discretion, unless the original complaining party files an action seeking a court order against the content provider, member or user, the removed content may be replaced, or access to it restored, after receipt of the counter-notice.
- Please understand that filing a counter-notification may lead to legal proceedings between you and the complaining party to determine ownership. Be aware that there may be adverse legal consequences in your country if you make a false or bad faith allegation by using this process.
- Further information on the DMCA can be found in 17 U.S.C. 512 or on the United States Copyright Office website at http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf.
IX. Mobile and Other Devices
- StoryCorps currently provides the App for free, but please be aware that your carrier’s normal rates and fees (such as text messaging, data charges or roaming fees) will still apply to any use of the Services through a mobile device.
- Downloading, installing or using the App may be prohibited or restricted by your network provider and not all of the Services may work with your network provider or device.
- IMPORTANT: You are free to delete your account at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting the deletion of your account. However, please note that even if your account has been terminated, any and all User Content uploaded to your account at any time prior to the termination date may be retained by StoryCorps and any third-party partners who had access to such User Content prior to termination (including, but not limited to, the U.S. Library of Congress) indefinitely. Moreover, even if User Content is removed from the App and/or the Site, StoryCorps cannot and does not make any guarantees that third parties who had access to such User Content prior to removal will delete any copies of such User Content in such third parties’ possession prior to removal.
- Despite the foregoing, StoryCorps has no obligation to retain any User Content and may, at its sole discretion, decide to delete any User Content from the Services after your account is terminated. Therefore, you are advised to save or back up any User Content that you have uploaded to your account before termination, as StoryCorps assumes no liability for any material that may be irretrievably deleted following termination of your account.
XI. Warranty Disclaimer
THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS”, “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, STORYCORPS, ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “STORYCORPS PARTIES”) DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OR OTHER VIOLATION OF RIGHTS IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES AND YOUR USE THEREOF. STORYCORPS MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY, LIKELY RESULTS, RELIABILITY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY (1) ERRORS, MISTAKES OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (2) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (3) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR SERVICES, (4) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR SERVICES BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (5) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, TRANSMITTED OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE SERVICES. STORYCORPS DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE SERVICES OR ANY HYPERLINKED SERVICES OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, AND STORYCORPS WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
XII. Limitation of Liability
- YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE STORYCORPS PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER CONTENT OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
- YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH STORYCORPS IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICES AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT.
- Because some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or the limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, in such states or jurisdictions, the liability of the StoryCorps Parties shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- While the Services may be accessible worldwide, we make no representation that it is appropriate or available for use in any specific location. Any offer of the Services is void where prohibited by law.
XIV. Apple Policies
XV. Provisions Applicable to Users Outside the United States of America
- StoryCorps seeks to create a community with consistent standards for you and all other users of the Services, but we also strive to respect local laws. The following provisions apply to people who access the Services outside the United States:
- you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States;
- you will not use the Services if you are prohibited from receiving products, services or software originating from the United States; and
- you will not use the Services if your use will subject StoryCorps to any registration requirement within a foreign jurisdiction or country.
- Software related to or made available by the Services may be subject to United States export controls. Therefore, no software from the Services may be downloaded, exported or re-exported: (1) into or to a national or resident of any country to which the United States has embargoed goods; or (2) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Table of Deny Orders. By downloading any software related to the Services, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of, any such country or on any such list.
- PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPHS CAREFULLY BECAUSE THEY REQUIRE YOU AND STORYCORPS TO AGREE TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN US THROUGH BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION.
- You agree that any arbitration shall be limited to the Dispute between StoryCorps and you individually. To the full extent permitted by law, (1) no arbitration shall be joined with any other; (2) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be arbitrated on a class-action basis or to utilize class action procedures; and (3) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public or any other persons.
- You agree that the following Disputes are not subject to the above provisions concerning informal negotiations and binding arbitration: (1) any Disputes seeking to enforce or protect, or concerning the validity of, any of your or StoryCorps’ intellectual property rights; (2) any Dispute related to, or arising from, allegations of theft, piracy, invasion of privacy or unauthorized use; and (3) any claim for injunctive relief. Any Dispute not subject to arbitration, or where no election to arbitrate has been made, shall be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction within the County of New York, State of New York, United States of America, and you agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of that court.
- You may opt out of this agreement to arbitrate. If you do so, neither you nor StoryCorps can require the other to participate in an arbitration proceeding. To opt out, you must notify StoryCorps in writing within 30 days of the date that you first became subject to this arbitration provision. You must either mail your opt-out notice to StoryCorps, Inc., ATTN: Arbitration Opt-out, 80 Hanson Place, 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217, or email the opt-out notice to email@example.com. You must include your name and residence address, the email address you use for your account, and a clear statement that you want to opt out of this arbitration agreement.
XVIII. Governing Law
- We do not endorse any User Content submitted to the Services by any user or other licensor or any other interviews displayed on the App, or any opinion, recommendation or advice expressed therein, and we expressly disclaim any and all liability in connection with all such interviews and content.
- StoryCorps reserves the right to limit the availability of the Services or any portion of the Services to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction, at any time and in StoryCorps’ sole discretion, and to limit the quantities of any content, program, product, service or other feature that StoryCorps provides.
- The section headings used herein are for reference only and shall not be read to have any legal effect.